Squirrel Appreciation and Nut Holes January 9th 2021

 1/9/2021 I was out working again. Another beautiful (relatively) warm weekend, overcast skies and minimal wind. Following the lead of the weather I spent the afternoon burning brush piles again. Last year I began working on an invasive species management plan particularly focused on Buckthorn and Wild Parsnip. I had several piles of buckthorn from the previous winter that I was able to burn and clean up. I also made some time to wander around a bit and check my trail cameras. I've been noticing now since the snow fell, lots of small areas where some creatures have clearly been digging. Most of the these "dig spots" are about 6 inches by 6 inches and only a couple inches deep. I tried to pay attention to where they were located and the tracks that were around them. I did not determine much of a pattern in terms of the location but as I started to inspect these spots more closely I noticed many of them had a perfectly circular little hole within them. My hunch is that the squirrels that I so often see at all times of year are responsible and the little hole within the spot is where an acorn was hidden! I jokingly told my family I found some "nut holes" : ) and the name stuck. That is now the official name of this outdoor observation in my household and something you can tease me about if that would make you happy.
Apparently squirrels bury lots of nuts and are then are able to find and dig up most of them throughout the winter. They have a great sense of smell and are easily able to find their nuts even under the snow. They are also acrobats. Many times seen them jumping along from tree to tree without issue on tiny little branches that don't appear to be able to hold their weight. 

In reading about squirrels I learned that there is National Squirrel Appreciation Day, January 21st. If the weather permits you could go do some squirrel appreciations yourself. Take some acorns, walnuts and hazelnuts to share, check out an acrobatics show and find yourself a nut hole! 








Comments