Aefintyr Observations for the week of January 2nd 2022

It finally feels like winter. On December 15th, 2021 we had an intense storm that caused multiple tornados in Southeastern MN. Wind speeds in some areas were over 75 mph. The storm took down some trees, pushed the outhouse off of it's blocks and flipped over and bent up the tent. A few trees went down and the smaller diameter sticks on the forest floor that were at the highest elevations had blown up and caught on the trees. It was easy to tell that the wind was coming from the southwest during the storm.

 

Animals 

There were lots of tracks visible in the snow. Deer, mice, squirrel, rabbits and raccoon. I saw a bald eagle and 2 hawks enjoying the thermals. I observed several spots where nuts had been dug up. On 1/9/2021 I had made this same observation.

I moved the trail camera and this was the first time I got to watch footage from the new spot. Didn't capture much the last few weeks except the doe and fawn I've seen throughout the year. They were moving east to west out of the funnel areas as I usually observe.



Plants and Trees 

The oaks have dropped many of their leaves. This could have been helped by the storm we had. The ironwood are still hanging on to many of their leaves. I noticed white cedar cones in the snow.


    

Flowers

The flowers are now in their winter form perfect for making wreaths and other decorations. 

Comments