2022-02-17 20:20 Two Barred Owls

Orion South sky 8:30 pm



February 17th, 2022. I was working on hanging fiberglass insulation in the cabin. I had managed to get off of work a bit early and was down to Aefintyr before 5. I've been working down there more and have been hearing a Barred Owl hooting in the afternoons between 4:30 and 5:00 pm. Most nights I leave when it gets dark, but this night I had a deadline to meet and stayed into the night. Around 8:20 pm I stepped outside. There were two owls, one sitting in a tree near me. I startled it and it flew a short way up the hill and landed in a tree near the wash area that flows with water during snow melt and heavy rains. Then the two owls proceeded to hoot for several minutes. I read that they hoot more often in February and March as part of their courtship and mating. It was a great night. I hung a lot of insulation, got to see a beautiful moon rise  (the "Snow Moon" was the night before on 2/16/2022) against a clear sky and also enjoy a bunch of constellations. 

Comments