Aefintyr observations week of May 8th

Plants

The Hepatica have almost all lost their petals and the Rue Anemone and Bellwort are taking over the forest floor. On 5/13 I noticed Pussytoes blooming for the first time this year. The Bloodroot and Wild Ginger are still blooming. I also found some Jack in the Pulpit, Violets, Canada Anemone, Gooseberry and a few other flowers. There is also a small tree that has beautiful white flowers. Several types of fern are out and have grown several inches in a week. The trees are leafing out. The little oak leaves still have a lot of red in them. 

5/11 Plum 

5/11

5/11 Black Walnut

5/11 Violets

5/11 Canadian Anemone

5/11 Ironwood

5/11 Yellow Bellwort

5/11 Jack in the Pulpit

5/11 Bloodroot

5/11

5/11 

5/13 Pussytoes 

5/13 

5/13

5/13 White Oak


Fungus

I found 2 small morel mushrooms on Wednesday 5/11 and several more small ones when I checked again on 5/13. A big old Red Oak along the hill road fell a part. Last year the tree produced beautiful Chicken of the Woods. Upon inspection of the fallen trunk, the tree was hollow and darkened in the center. The remaining wood still moist and living (leaves on the tree), was infested with white mycelium. I will need to clean up the tree as it is blocking the main path. When I do I will put the logs in a spot that I will be sure to continue to check for years to come. 

5/13

5/13

5/13

5/11 Red Oak infested with mycelium

5/11 mycelium close up, throughout wood

Animals

The Bumble Bees are out, I noticed them all week. I saw a Barred Owl and found an owl pellet on the top of the bluff. I startled a hawk, as I often do when arriving at the top of the bluff. Lots of Turkey Vultures around. The Spring Peepers croak in the evenings and I continue to hear birds singing constantly during daylight. The American Toads that Alaina kept as pets all winter were released back to the Aefintyr woods on 5/13/2022.

5/13 Kermit and Mary, American Toads













Comments